Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Jimmy's Pocket-Aunt


     "Jimmy," said Grandma Jones.
"I'm busy this morning. You take care of your Aunt Alice."

     Aunt Alice was only three year old. 
Jimmy was five years older than aunt Alice.
He did not like to take care of her.
All his friends laughed at him.
They thought it was funny to have such a little aunt.

     Jimmy took aunt Alice out into the yard. 
He began to read, and aunt Alice played.

     Soon Jimmy heard music coming from the park.
But he did not hear Aunt Alice.
He jumped up and look around,
No Aunt Alice!

     Jimmy ran to the park to look for her.
He could not find her anywhere.
     A policeman named Mr. Lee came along.
     "What's your name?" asked Mr. Lee.
"And what's the matter?"

     Jimmy said, "My name is jimmy Jones. My Aunt Alice is lost."
 "What does she look like?" asked Mr. Lee. "Is she young or old?"

     Jimmy told Mr. Lee what she looked like. But he did not want the policeman to know that she was only three.
     So Jimmy said, "I guess you could say that Aunt Alice is young."
     The policeman and Jimmy went into the park building.
     "Will Jimmy Jones' Aunt Alice come to the park building?" called the policeman.
     
     Mr. Lee called four times.
But Jimmy knew Aunt Alice could not find the park building.
     Mr. Lee said, "Just sit there, Jimmy.
Lost boys are always found in this park."

     "I'm not lost!" Jimmy said."My Aunt Alice is lost!" 
Jimmy thought, "Maybe I should tell him Aunt Alice is only three years old."
Just then a policeman walked in.
He said, "Here's another lost child."
     "That's my aunt Alice!" said Jimmy.

     Mr. Lee said, "What a pretty little aunt! I had a little aunt when I was a boy.
I called her my pocket-aunt. I liked her. All the other boys wanted a pocket-aunt like mine."

     Jimmy thanked the two men.
Then he started off to his grandmother's house with Aunt Alice.

     Jimmy said to himself, "Mr. Lee liked his little aunt.
I like mine, too. Who said aunts have to be big?
No one!
I'm glad I have a pocket-aunt!"


                           E N D











Source: More Power Book 2 Part 1
Reprinted from Stories.
Copyright 1960 by W. L. Jenkins.

No comments: